From Good Housekeeping Christmas Cookbook, page 48
- 1 c butter or margerine
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 c sifted flour
- 2 c finely chopped, toasted slivered almonds
- 6ox semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp shortening
- Mix @ medium speed - beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix @ low speed - beat in flour. Stir in almonds.
- Wrap dough in wax paper. Chill 3 hours.
- Shape into 2 inch fingers, place on ungreased sheet.
- Bake 15 min @ 325 F. Cool on wire racks.
- In double boiler over hot, not boiling, water, melt chocolate with shortening.
- Dip end of cookies in chocolate. Let dry on racks.
- Store in loosely covered containers at room temperature.