From Betty Crocker's Cookie Book, pg 74
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 3/4 c margerine or butter, soft
- 3/3 c shortening
- 1 1/2 eggs (yeah, I don't get it either)
- 2 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 3/4 c flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp red food color
- 3/4 c crushed peperment candy
- 3/4 c sugar
- Mix powdered sugar, margerine, shortening, egg, almond, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Divide dough, color 1/2 red.
- Shape 1 tsp each color into 4 inch rope. Twist together into candy cane shape.
- Bake on ungreased sheets for 9 mins at 375 F.
- Mix candy and sugar. Sprinkle immediately over cookies after baking. Cool on racks.